Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Color Blind

Are you color blind? Ever thought of what it may be like to be color blind? I, for one, am not but I have always been intrigued by what makes us color blind.

Color blindness affects 1 in 12 men (8%) and 1 in 200 women worldwide.

For more: http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/causes-of-colour-blindness/

How does it happen? Causes?
It is usually a hereditary condition, which means that you are most often born with it. It is not a disease, it is does not halt anyone's abilities from doing most daily activities. But it is an interesting condition.

Branching off of this topic...apparently a high schooler's research may aid color blind users online.


This is a legitimate video that tests to see if you are color blind.
People say only the experts, those with the experience, know how to research a debated topic or find the cure to something, or even create anything worthwhile. I do not believe this.

This bright Indian high school student researched methods and ways of making visual content more accessible to color blind users.

Did you know people with normal color vision are called trichromats? (I didn't)


Want to know the different types of color blindness?
1) Anomalous Trichromacy (color blind to some extent/"faulty" vision)
2) Dichromacy (the way people see red, green or blue mixtures - confusing different shades)
3) Monochromacy (example in the image below)


I am always interested by the things in the world that have the potential to disable a small (or big) fraction of us from going about the same lives.

"Now...how does this relate to art?"

I don't know about you but unless I am sketching, my art usually involves color (and lots of it). I do not want to come across as all-knowing or arrogant but I don't think I would be able to do the same type of art as I do if I had for example monochromacy...

This is why I took interest in this 17 year old girl named Animesh Tripathi as she has been investigating algorithms and on how to effectively adjust the color schemes we see online. This is where I feel it is necessary to pay respect where it is due. :)

http://mashable.com/2014/03/01/color-blind-computer-users/





No comments:

Post a Comment