Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A 3D Chocolate You

I was passing through Harvey Nichols on my way home today and saw a group of people standing around this rather peculiar stand that seemed to emit quite a strong blue light. I walked over, bearing the pain from my heavy bag, and saw several creepy looking figurines made out of chocolate. I asked the girl who was standing by the "MiNi-YOU" presentation, "what on earth is this?" and she said, "you can create a 3D miniature of yourself...and you can even get it done in chocolate." Unfortunately I neither love myself that much nor adore chocolate enough to actually order one. Nonetheless it seemed like quite the unique idea.

http://mini-you.co.uk/


This guy looks incredibly creepy and I can't imagine having the creation sitting there on my dining room table, staring at me, and thus making me feel undoubtedly uncomfortable. He reminds me of those chillingly porcelain dolls that you see in most psychological horror films. 

Now begs the question, how does it work? 



3D Printing went from being a major yet hardly talked about idea to a product that an increasing amount of schools, companies, and households have begun to endorse. Now when I first saw these 'things' or 'creepy looking 3D miniatures' I looked at it in a rather comical way:

One could possibly order one (remembering the 1 week waiting period): should you be infatuated with someone, or possibly be some sort of stalker and get that persons 3D miniature.

Or: should you love yourself to the degree that you must get a 3D miniature out of chocolate, signifying that you are simply good enough to eat.

Or...: that you get an either serious/funny gift for your friend/loved one for a certain holiday, be it whatever it is.

BUT, it is not cheap.


You obviously want the 10 inch one right? Also I never understood why designers, or stores price products at £159.99 or in this case, £399/£499. Why not just say £160...£400....£500. I remember someone saying that £399 looks cheaper than £400 but honestly to me it does not. What a £0.01 difference? Or, £1 difference. You may think differently, yet this is just my opinion.


Yumm....right? 

This is essentially art, yes it is. For it involves thought, stress, ideas, work, physical/tech involvement and a product that is down to a single (or multiple) persons effort. 

Coming to your local Waitrose soon...;) (not really I don't know) but it is at Harvey Nichols in Knightsbridge right now as I write (19 March).

http://mini-you.co.uk/

L.


No comments:

Post a Comment