Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Don't Trust The Eyes

Ever heard of the phrases, don't trust your eyes or your eyes may deceive you? Well I don't know about you but I certainly have...but now you may be asking, why is she asking me this? Or, what is the point of all this...move on to the next blog...But no. Stay. What I am leading on to are optical illusions. Increasingly so I have stumbled upon various photos that will simply play tricks on my mind, and have me sit there minutes on end, staring blankly at the screen with no idea what I am supposed to be looking at! Take a look at this optical illusion....


Now because the image appears to be smaller than the original, I do not exactly know if you can see the full effect of this illusion, nonetheless it is known as White's Illusion. Before I say anything look at the image again, and come up with an idea of what the illusion is. Now the actual illusion is that the 2 shades of grey are exactly the same. But one shade of grey looks darker than the other one, right? Wrong. BUT the illusion I thought of originally had been that the rectangles were moving in and out? Now why do I feel like I am the only one thinking of that?


Here's another one...

What do you think is going on here? Nothing? Something? Anything? 
Well this one is called a Motion Illusion or as I like to call it The Wave. To me, and I don't know about you, it looks as if the blue/white circular balls are moving around in relaxed waves. When I look at this one image for more than 30 seconds with a bright computer screen I begin to the same wave in my own eyes. However, this could simply be down to the fact that it is currently 9:30PM and I'm having to wake up extraordinarily early for my trip to the airport in the morning! Shall we move on? I think so...

One more and that's it, I promise...and this one is my favorite.


I'm sorry but I simply cannot explain this optical illusion and how it is created. What do you see? A single magenta coloured ball disappearing every nano second, or an invisible ball being rolled around an invisible Roulette Wheel?

Now stare at the black cross in the center of the image, and eventually you will see that the ball turns to a luminous green color.  

All of these images/gifs have a very obvious similarity. They were created through the uses of technology. Yes, the creative mind was used in developing the idea that surround each illusion, however the actual end-result is thanks to the programmes involved in their actual creation. 

L.D. 





3 comments:

  1. I really like this post, it's interesting and engaging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool blog I love the illusions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, very interesting and engaging. Love the illusions!

    ReplyDelete